In order to get the best interviews from around the world, Professor Dellinger sometimes conducts interviews over Skype. Here are a few hints to make the interview recording go well:
- Find a quiet location to record. If you are in an office, close your door and consider placing a note outside that says something to the effect of “podcast recording in progress”
- Sit comfortably, and if your chair is squeaky, consider using a different chair.
- Become familiar with where your microphone is situated. If possible, borrow an external microphone if you are using a built-in microphone on a laptop.
- Speak clearly and concisely. If you want to say something over, clearly say something to the effect that you want to do it over, then pause, then start again.
- Use headphones. Even small bud earphones work. It reduces an echo that we sometimes experience.
- The podcasts are not live. If you flub up, or want to reword something, simply stop, say something to the effect of "strike that last sentence", take a 1 second pause and continue.
- Most importantly, have fun and be relaxed!
- February 4, 2021